Project title: Protecting Children from Vaccine Preventable Diseases by Strengthening the Second Year of Life
The Second Year of life Project seeks to develop and assess the impact of a multi-faceted approach to strengthening the second year of life visit on immunization coverage and operational performance in Ghana.
- A baseline survey in 3 regions of Northern, Volta, and Greater Accra Regions was done.
- Findings of the survey have been disseminated to 10 regional and district health teams.
- Supporting the printing of health educational materials including flip charts, flyers, posters.
- 347,000 Child health record booklets have been printed.
- TV spot messages have been developed and are running.
- Health promoters have been trained in communication skills and radio jingles on 2YL.
- 170 pieces of Digital Tablets and 130 Laptop computers & accessories for GHS have been provided.
- Red Cross was contracted to conduct house-to-house social mobilization activities to raise the awareness of the second dose of measles at 18 months, vitamin A supplementation, growth monitoring, and insecticide treated bed net distribution.
- 100 Community Health Workers have been trained on Immunization.
- Active involvement in the review of the EPI policy and guide documents.
- 30 community health workers have been trained on defaulter tracking
- Trained 50 biomedical scientists on laboratory surveillance for meningitis.
- Conducted regional & district level trainings on E-tracker for Volta region.
Health workers are not yet adequately knowledgeable on the schedule of 2YL antigens and consequently presenting a communication gap among caretakers.